Reliable answers for your RT and Pulmonary Function coding questions
We’ve combined two proven coding and billing resources into one convenient how-to guide! Now you get our Coding Essentials for RT/Pulmonary Function book integrated with our Coding Essentials for Sleep Studies book. You’ll get access to clear guidance on appropriate codes to use, how to charge and bill for services that may be bundled or packaged, what the billing rules are for different staff such as the respiratory therapist vs. nursing personal, and much more at your fingertips. You’ll save time. You’ll save money. And, above all, you’ll get answers you trust from leading experts.
Features and Benefits
- Updated with NEW information for:
- Pulmonary stress testing and exercise test bronchospasm
- Expanded guidance on tobacco cessation, ventilation management, weaning parameters and the observation comprehensive APC packaging rule
- Complete chapter on sleep studies and other ancillary services such as electroencephalogram and extended monitoring
- Step-by-step through coding and billing for a full range of respiratory therapy services and pulmonary function testing, plus sleep testing, polysomnography, penile studies and home sleep testing
- Comprehensive — encompasses Medicare payments, medical necessity, national and local coverage determinations (LCDs/NCDs), advance beneficiary notices (ABNs), National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) edits, modifier usage, CPT/HCPCS codes, documentation requirements and more
- Covers code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
- Sections on specific services include:
- Descriptions and intended uses of the services provided
- Listings of the corresponding CPT®/HCPCS and revenue codes, along with explanations of intended code usage
- Billing tips
- Clinical examples
- Complete payment information, including current hospital OPPS rates, procedures with APCs, status indicators and at-a-glance tables showing CPT/HCPCS codes included in APCs, plus prior year and current payment rates
- Special help with common areas of confusion and noncompliance, such as:
- Billing issues, including breathing treatments — a prime RAC target — and billing sequence or date of service
- Unbundling of codes and groups of CPT/HCPCS codes that are inappropriately reported together
- Incorrectly billing for routine monitoring, oxygen and services not specifically ordered by a physician
- Interpreting Medicare medical necessity coverage policies and frequency limitations
- Lack of documentation to support medical necessity
- Incorrect coding for home sleep study tests
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
For certain MedLearn Publishing publications, you will see an 'AMA Royalty Fee' in your shopping cart. This charge covers the licensing fee MedLearn Publishing pays to the American Medical Association (AMA) for references to CPT® codes. The AMA owns the copyright for CPT codes.
The final rules for the 2018 Medicare outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) and the Medicare physician fee schedule (MPFS) dictate the publishing dates for our books. In previous years, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services have issued these final rules in early November of the previous year (November 2017), and the updating process for our books begins.
We estimate that our books will ship to our customers in December, and we will keep you informed of the shipping date.
If you have any questions, please contact