Much more than a coding resource…a guide to the full, compliant payment
Is your documentation missing critical start and stop times for infusions? Are there medical necessity issues with your hydration therapy services? Which coding and billing missteps for drug administration are recovery audit contractors (RACs) targeting? These are just a few of the many scenarios that threaten infusion and injection service compliance and revenues nationwide, year after year.
When you’re equipped with the right resource, these high-risk situations are also highly avoidable. As its name implies, our 2020
Coding Essentials for Infusion & Injection Therapy Services provides clear-cut guidance through coding for a full range of infusion and injection services in all settings. But it also tackles the recurring issues and challenges that put your payments and compliance at risk, from missing crucial elements in documentation, to confusion surrounding current payer trends.
You get clear explanations, quick tips, answers to FAQs, case examples and other tools to help ensure that you capture — and keep — full, compliant payment for these high-volume services.
Don’t let outdated, misunderstood, or incomplete information sabotage your compliance. Join the numerous professionals across the country that have embraced our resource for a full range of infusion and injection therapy solutions.
Features and Benefits
Our experts address common questions, concerns, and problem areas:
- Documentation related to time, route, site and flushes for timed codes
- "White bagging" and "brown bagging" drug supplies, including documentation and modifier requirements
- The impact of smart pumps and other technologies on documentation
- Comprehensive APC (c-APC), for observation care
- Coding and billing in alignment with the Medicare move to site-neutral payments
Updated and expanded content for 2020, including:
- Coverage of all 2020 changes pertaining to infusion injection therapy services, including updated payment rates, status indicators, and APCs
- Guidance on midyear HCPCS code changes to ensure proper implementation and coordination between departments
- Tactics for preventing high-risk practices and RAC takebacks
- Detailed instruction through coding hierarchies
- Expanded guidance with payer issues and challenges related to drug administration and other infusion services
- Answers to questions highlighting challenges faced by facilities across the country
Clear, step-by-step guidance through the tasks you perform every day:
- Coding and documentation for infusion and injection services in all care settings
- Covers a broad range of infusion/injection services, including hydration therapy, drug administration, injections and chemotherapy services, as well as blood collection, transfusions, and other procedures; also includes a section on coding for drugs and biologicals
A proven quick-reference approach for busy professionals:
- Easy-to-understand overviews of coding systems, including ICD-10, modifiers, evaluation and management (E&M) services, medical necessity, local/national coverage determinations, audit targets, and other critical topics
- Sections on specific services include:
- Descriptions of services with their corresponding current codes (CPT®, HCPCS, revenue center) and descriptions
- Explanations of intended code use
- Documentation requirements
- Tables displaying time increments for reporting services, where applicable
- Examples of drugs involved
- Billing tips
- Case studies, frequently asked questions that demonstrate both common and complex challenges faced by professionals across the country, and examples, to reinforce best practices and provide a concrete breakdown of problem areas
- Chapter with payment tables for physicians and hospitals
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.