More accurate IR coding starts with a better understanding of how IR procedures are performed
Essentials of Interventional Radiology Coding on a simple, but profound, premise: that better IR coding starts with a strengthened understanding of how IR procedures are performed and how to pinpoint those key phrases in physician documentation.
There’s nothing simple about IR coding, of course. For example, the emergence of bundled codes was supposed to make life easier for coders. But, in fact, it presented new challenges in terms of interpreting physician documentation and then arriving at the correct bundled code. Speaking of documentation, it seems that no two physicians document an IR procedure the same way, magnifying the gray areas that make it hard to distinguish subtle differences between procedures and similar code choices.
Fully updated for 2020, this popular resource provides in-depth explanations of the “why” behind correct CPT®/HCPCS code assignments, as well as valuable guidance with interpreting physician documentation in all its variations. You don’t have to be a new coder to benefit from this book, it’s a great resource for experienced coders and even non-clinical staff who want to expand their understanding of IR coding. Overcome your obstacles. Don’t let outdated or incomplete information sabotage your coding accuracy. Join the numerous professionals across the country that have embraced our resource for a full range of IR coding solutions.
Features and Benefits:
Clearly and concisely, our IR coding experts cover many essential concepts, such as:
- Descriptions of IR procedures, including both diagnostic exams and therapeutic interventions, as well as vascular angiography and interventions, and how each one is performed — including subtle differences that make a big difference in how procedures are reported
- Corresponding CPT®/HCPCS code descriptions and coding guidelines for each procedure; covers code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
- Explanations of any applicable add-on, radiological S&I and imaging guidance codes, with guidelines for use
- Critical elements in physician documentation that lead to correct code assignments
- Guidance with IR coding concepts, including component, hybrid, bundled, arterial, venous, selective, non-selective and order of selectivity
- Overviews of other must-know topics: diagnostic vs. therapeutic procedures, physician vs. hospital coding, Medicare payments and coding guidelines, CPT coding basics and much more
Updated for 2020 to address coding changes and new challenges:
- Step by step through new, deleted and revised codes for reporting IR procedures, including:
- Lumbar puncture
- Nerve injections and nerve destruction procedures
- Iliac endograft placement
- Percutaneous transcatheter placement of iliac arteriovenous anastomosis implant
- Percutaneous ablation of malignant breast tumor(s)
- Pericardial drainage
- 3D printing
- Revisions to IR coding guidelines, plus any editorial revisions
- Updated billing tips and expanded guidance through common problem areas such as fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy, PICC placement, and vein ablation
- New case examples
A proven approach to effective learning and quick reference for busy professionals:
- Content is organized by nonvascular and vascular IR, and then by body system and procedure type
- Anatomical illustrations showing, and visually translating, common procedures and the corresponding CPT codes
- At the end of each chapter, full dictated reports with highlighted key phrases that lead to the correct code assignments
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
When will my book ship? We will begin publishing our 2020 books immediately after the CMS releases the 2020 Final Rule. We anticipate this will be in early November and estimate our books will begin shipping in December.