More accurate IR coding starts with a better understanding of how IR procedures are performed
Essentials of Interventional Radiology Coding on a simple, but profound, premise: that better IR coding starts with a strengthened understanding of how IR procedures are performed and how to pinpoint those key phrases in physician documentation.
There’s nothing simple about IR coding, of course. For example, the emergence of bundled codes was supposed to make life easier for coders. But, in fact, it presented new challenges in terms of interpreting physician documentation and then arriving at the correct bundled code. Speaking of documentation, it seems that no two physicians document an IR procedure the same way, magnifying the gray areas that make it hard to distinguish subtle differences between procedures and similar code choices.
Fully updated, this popular resource provides in-depth explanations of the “why” behind correct CPT®/HCPCS code assignments, as well as valuable guidance with interpreting physician documentation in all its variations. You don’t have to be a new coder to benefit from this book, it’s a great resource for experienced coders and even non-clinical staff who want to expand their understanding of IR coding.
Valuable FREE perks with this book!
Ordering this publication automatically enrolls you in the MedLearn Media Insiders program — at no additional charge. Throughout the year, you'll receive free Insider perks that complement and add value to your book.
Features and Benefits:
Clearly and concisely, our IR coding experts cover many essential concepts, such as:
- Descriptions of IR procedures, including both diagnostic exams and therapeutic interventions, as well as vascular angiography and interventions, and how each one is performed — including subtle differences that make a big difference in how procedures are reported
- Corresponding CPT®/HCPCS code descriptions and coding guidelines for each procedure; covers code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
- Explanations of any applicable add-on, radiological S&I and imaging guidance codes, with guidelines for use
- Critical elements in physician documentation that lead to correct code assignments
- Guidance with IR coding concepts, including component, hybrid, bundled, arterial, venous, selective, non-selective and order of selectivity
- Overviews of other must-know topics: diagnostic vs. therapeutic procedures, physician vs. hospital coding, Medicare payments and coding guidelines, CPT coding basics and much more
Updated to address coding changes and new challenges:
- Step by step through new, deleted and revised codes for reporting IR procedures
- Guidance through any revisions to IR coding guidelines
- Updated billing tips and expanded guidance through common problem areas
- New case examples
A proven approach to effective learning and quick reference for busy professionals:
- Content is organized by nonvascular and vascular IR, and then by body system and procedure type
- Anatomical illustrations showing, and visually translating, common procedures and the corresponding CPT codes
- At the end of each chapter, full dictated reports with highlighted key phrases that lead to the correct code assignments