A how-to guide for determining accurate coding for mammography imaging and interventional procedures.
For one of the most commonly provided areas of imaging, which is seeing continual advancements in technology, you can’t change the complexities of coding and billing for breast and bone density procedures. But you can make your job a lot easier with the help of this unique how-to resource. Created for both hospital and professional (physician office) staff who preform coding and billing functions, it walks you through the Medicare coding and billing requirements for a full range of diagnostic and interventional procedures.
The Breast & Bone Density Procedure Coding Guide features efficient navigation and clear presentation of essential information. Throughout the book, you’ll find at-a-glance charts with CPT®/HCPCS and revenue codes, Medicare payment tables, concise code descriptions, helpful coding examples, and quick billing tips.
This proven handbook is comprehensive, too. Besides mammography coding, it covers a broad range of breast imaging procedures, including digital breast tomosynthesis, plus interventional mammography, imaging guidance, and bone density (DEXA/DXA) coding.
Like many of your peers, you’ve probably encountered tough questions and challenges. For example, how do you correctly report a screening vs. diagnostic mammogram? What are post-procedure mammogram coding guidelines when the biopsy, localization, clip placement, or other procedure was performed under a modality other than mammographic guidance? Rest assured, our Breast & Bone Density Procedure Coding Guide delivers the answers and assistance you need!
Features and Benefits
- Updated with NEW expanded guidance for:
- G-codes for mammography and tomosynthesis – what’s changing and what’s staying
- New case examples throughout, to clarify common areas of confusion and noncompliance
- Common frequently asked questions and answers
- Step-by-step through coding for a full range of diagnostic and interventional procedures, including breast interventions, mammography, bone density scans and imaging guidance (ultrasonic, CT and MR)
- Easy to navigate — organized by types of procedures and technologies, and then by CPT/HCPCS code sequence
- Covers code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
- Each section includes:
- Listings of CPT/HCPCS codes, revenue codes and modifiers, along with the corresponding procedures
- Medicare payment table containing RVUs and hospital OPPS rates
- Description of procedures by CPT/HCPCS codes
- Billing tips
- Special help with common areas of confusion and noncompliance, such as:
- The use of "complete" CPT codes for breast interventions
- When you may code for a diagnostic and screening mammogram during the same patient encounter
- Inappropriate billing for evaluation and management services
- ICD-10 coding for various procedures, including bone density scans
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
For certain MedLearn Publishing publications, you will see an 'AMA Royalty Fee' in your shopping cart. This charge covers the licensing fee MedLearn Publishing pays to the American Medical Association (AMA) for references to CPT® codes. The AMA owns the copyright for CPT codes.
The final rules for the 2018 Medicare outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) and the Medicare physician fee schedule (MPFS) dictate the publishing dates for our books. In previous years, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services have issued these final rules in early November of the previous year (November 2017), and the updating process for our books begins.