Count on us to guide you through the biggest coding overhaul in a decade
Based on interactions with hospitals and physician practices nationwide, our nuclear medicine and PET experts have identified many areas of confusion, uncertainty and noncompliance. The
Nuclear Medicine & PET Coder responds to these real-world coding, documentation and billing issues with workable solutions, distilled into clear-cut instruction with tips and case examples. Plus, detailed breakdowns and guidance for application of the new and revised codes for planar, SPECT and SPECT/CT and cardiac PET.
Fortunately, the experts behind our
Nuclear Medicine & PET Coder book spell out all the changes and translate the steps you need to take to ensure compliant coding. As always, you get clear, detailed explanations of procedures and how they should be reported, along with documentation requirements, clarification of gray areas, case examples, actionable tips and much more.
Valuable FREE perks with this book!
Ordering this publication automatically enrolls you in the MedLearn Media Insiders program — at no additional charge. Throughout the year, you'll receive free Insider perks that complement and add value to your book.
Features and Benefits
Updated and expanded content, including:
- Explanations and practical application of new, deleted and revised CPT codes for SPECT and cardiac PET procedures, with crosswalks and guidance for use
- The Appropriate Use Criteria program and how it impacts nuclear medicine providers
- Updated payment tables, radiopharmaceutical information and other essential details throughout the book
- Expanded guidance with coding for cardiac amyloidosis and sarcoidosis
- New case examples
Our experts address common questions, concerns, and problem areas:
- Documentation requirements for coding a thyroid “whole-body” exam vs. a “limited” exam
- Preventing the under-reporting of radiopharmaceutical units
- Recurring issues with coding, such as code unbundling and omitting CPT codes for certain procedures
- In-depth help with modifiers, Y90 imaging as part of radioembolization procedures, shunt imaging, and cardiac PET services with radiopharmaceutical coverage
Clear, step-by-step guidance through the tasks you perform every day:
- Coding and documentation for a full range of nuclear medicine and PET procedures, including SPECT, PET, PET/CT, planar imaging, integrated imaging, and therapeutic treatments
- Covers code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
A proven quick-reference approach for busy professionals:
- Codes are grouped by body system (e.g., endocrine, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and more) and then by code sequence
- Each section includes:
- Table of drugs and radiopharmaceuticals typically used for nuclear medicine procedures, along with the pertinent HCPCS and revenue codes
- Definition of each procedure with its corresponding CPT® code
- Coding and billing tips for each code
- Payment tables based on the current Medicare physician fee schedule (MPFS) and the hospital outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS)